Thursday, November 13, 2008

A Prayer Request

Once again, it is another sleepless night for me. I am up and feel the need to ask those of you who love and care about our family to send up some extra prayers for Asher. A few weeks ago we took the boys in for their well-baby check ups and our Pediatrician (who I love) pointed out some irregular eye movements with Asher. I had noticed these eye movements, but was hoping it was just me being a paranoid mommy and tried not to worry about it. Our pediatrician referred us to a Opthamologist that specializes in Pediatric care for a more in depth exam. I took Asher to the eye doctor on Monday, and by then I had resigned myself to the fact that he may have to have glasses. This is not totally unexpected, considering both of my parents wear glasses, I had eye surgery at 18 months and have worn glasses and contacts since and there is some general vision problems on Jeremy's side of the family. I was not, however, prepared for the diagnosis I received for my sweet little boy. The doctor recommeneded I get him in glasses ASAP to prevent any sensory or motor skill development issues, because apparently he is extremely far sighted and not seeing much of anything. In addition, he has a condition called Congenital Nystagmus (google it and you'll find all you need to know) which causes a seemingly continuous pendulum like movement with his eyes. The Nystagmus has a variety of forms and the doctor said there is more than even the far sightedness and nystagmus going on and they have now referrd us to Oregon Health Sciences University to the Casey Eye Institute for additional services. There is a whole laundry list of issues they are going to be screening him for and there is some concern that his vision problems may not be correctable with glasses, meaning he may need to learn to function in his daily life with low vision. I have an appointment at the Casey Eye Institute on Tuesday 11/25 and I am praying we will get some answers then.
As a Mommy, I have a million concerns, and I am torn in a hundred ways...I am so very thankful that the technology exists to catch these vision problems before he starts to really suffer, and so very sad that my sweet baby boy has to face hardships that frankly just don't seem fair. Asher's glasses come in next week and hopefully he will find some relief from the blurred vision he is experiencing.
Please pray for our baby, that the diagnosis will be better than we are prepared for and peace for all of us.

5 comments:

FoxFamilyFive said...

My heart is broken for you Amy and Jeremy. I almost didn't even post because I don't want "our journey" to add any fear or worry to that you are already feeling. But I want you both to know that my thoughts and prayers are with you and your sweet little guy. Hopefully you will get answers quickly.

Love to you and yours,
Angela

Jeff and Necia said...

Oh Amy, my heart goes out to you and Jeremy! How scary that HAS to be!! We're sending up fervent prayers as you try to figure out what this will mean for your sweet boy...that God will give you the strength to firmly put your trust in Him, and that he will offer healing, peace, and mercy... Love you guys!

FoxFamilyFive said...

FoxiFamily@yahoo.com

Thinking of you lots. We have an ophthalmology appointment for Keegan today and you are weighing heavy on my heart as well.

Carrington said...

Lord Jesus, I lift up little Asher to you right now and ask that you would cover this sweet boy with your healing. I claim your mighty work of redemption and healing on the cross on behalf of Asher and ask, as it is Your will, that he would be healed and that his vision would be corrected to perfect. I know Lord that Your will is for health, wholeness, and peace, and yet spiritual forces far beyond our understanding are constantly at work, and there are times that Your will is not carried out. I pray against such an outcome for Asher, but Lord I also pray in this process that you would bring supernatural peace to Amy and Jeremy, and that as a family you would be glorified and praised in the midst of confusion and anxiety. I pray your hand would touch each member of this family and that your peace would permeate their household and their hearts. Lord, I offer Asher to you and ask that as his father, you would care for him and provide for him the medical attention he needs. I pray for the doctors, that they would have wisdom and discernment in treating this baby boy, and that this circumstance, no matter what the outcome, would bring good upon the whole family and all who call you Lord.
In the name of Jesus, the mighty physician. Amen

Carrington said...

Amy,
Thank you for sharing this frightening news so we can all be partnering with you in prayer. Please let us know how things develop. Sending lots of love your way.